Friday, August 13, 2004

POLITICS AS USUAL: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER

By now, I'm sure we've all read about the prompt resignation of NJ Governor James McGreevey after his affair. Man, does that ever suck.

I think that if Governor McGreevey had been caught (ahem) with his pants down "entertaining" a woman, it would have been business as usual. Am I right?

Another question I'll throw out as well: Should he have resigned? Is there a co-relation between his private life and political life?

My 0.02 cents? I understand why he resigned: He didn't want to spend the rest of his term defending his little "indiscretion", so he took the (in relative terms) easy way out. But on the other hand, he is a Democrat from New Jersey. While many (if not most) of those voters are of the more working class, blue-collar variety, you would think his base would be a little more forgiving then, say, a Baptist Republican Governor. As well, he was honest (albeit after he was about to be hit with a lawsuit) in coming clean about the affair, and I'm a big believe that when you say to the public "Look, I made a big mistake. I'm sorry. It will be corrected", the public often forgives.

It would have been interesting to see him take a shot at another term.



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT