Wednesday, January 26, 2005
POLITICS AS USUAL: JUST A LITTLE REMINDER...
- Just an effort to protect US oil interests;
- Pointless because Iraqis can help themselves;
- Not needed because it was a real Utopia before Saddam was ousted;
- The US should stay out of other country's business;
- That freedom and democracy will flourish with or without US/UK involvement;
- Democracy is a right that should be given to all people in all countries;
- That the US are the "bad guys" and the insurgents are somehow the "good guys";
Then you REALLY need to read this article.
People are theatening those who choose to vote on January 30th with DEATH.
I've said it before and I'll say it again--if the shoe were on the other foot, Canadians would be stark raving mad. I believe that people of my generation and even my parents, have no real concept of what its like to have no freedom or ability to speak out.
We enjoy such freedom and liberty here in Canada--and I think we take it for granted. Big time. If one country isn't free then we in the global community should be ashamed of ourselves. And yes, that goes for Saudi Arabia and all the other US allies who are just as oppresive and need a swift kick in the behind to get them thinking straight.
I wasn't a huge fan of the war, to be honest. And I shook my head when they called off the search for WMDs. But if there is a good reason to be in this war, this is it: to fight for the rights for Iraqis to do what only 35-odd percent of Canadians can't be bothered to do.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]