Wednesday, August 03, 2005

B! TALK DAILY: OPRAH SELLS CUBA


Oprah showing her humble lifestyle Posted by Picasa

I was flipping through the channels on the ol' idiot box on Monday and I came across the Oprah Winfrey Show. What caught my attention (I swear to God) was all these beautiful women about my age of varying nationalities talking about what it is like to be a 30-year old woman in their country.

What really caught my eye was the segment on Cuba.

The piece focused on a 30-year old dancer who talked up how great the communist dictatorship was. She says she would never have been such a "success" (barely getting by, but at least she's on stage!) if she went to another country. And the surprising part was that the CNN correspondent narrating the piece and the show's audience all seem to be in agreement with them!

I don't have a transcript, but here are some highlights from memory:

The piece ends and there's the Big O and the audience doing their "Ooooooo" and "Ahhhhhhhh" routine like this is some sort of feminist utopia. I couldn't believe it. I spent the whole time thinking to myself: "I wonder how Oprah would take to making the same as a factory worker or a shoeshine boy." I suspect it would be a rough transition.

Anyway, I'm not sure how living in Cuba would be a desireable thing, but the gals in the audience looked ready to sign up.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT