Monday, January 30, 2006
POLITICS AS USUAL: ELECTION CHOCK-A-BLOCK
Took me a week to recover.
I was all hot to trot, give my insightful analysis on the outcome, but my PSP was calling to me, and it's one tough, unforgiving master.
So, I thought I'd share a few thoughts; presented, as always, in easy-to-digest point form.
- As Christian Conservative ratted me out (damn, he's an ugly bastard), I can now say I was the E-Day Chair in Guelph. I knew we we're in trouble when he announced he would be "live blogging from campaign HQ" and he never showed up. All kidding aside, he was an excellent and dedicated volunteer in an areas we needed to have a strong showing in--and we did.
- Canadians wanted a Progressive Conservative majority goverment, and through "strategic voting", it would seem they got it. Guess the real check on PM Harper is the House of Commons.
- Speaking on "checks on our government", the best check was saying dumbass things in the last week. In Week 8, we sucked ass. I'd say it cost us 14-16 seats, mostly in Ontario.
- But for the first 7 weeks, we were ALL friggin' brilliant.
- I've noticed that as a general rule (yeah,yeah, your riding is different), the vote tallies for each riding shifted about 4-5,000 votes. If you were in that range, you won. If you were further behind than that in '04, you lost.
- Did anyone notice that Harper was wearing a cool ass sweater/jacket combo like 2 DAYS after I wrote this? I'm trying to find picture proof, but I have been confounded thus far. I remember him getting off the plane thinking "Well, at least SOMEONE reads my blog". A shiny nickel for anyone who finds me that pic.
- $20.00 say Harper's kid made his Dad PROMISE not to kiss/hug him goodbye when he walked him to school. "C'mon, Dad, not in front of the national media......"
- I know Joan Tintor doesn't agree with me, but I got a great kick out of throwing stones in the same direction as Warren and CalgaryGrit. OK, OK, so they're like the Russia in WWII (first again' ya, then with ya), but Russia KICKED HITLER'S ASS. Now that the armastice is signed, I expect the analogy to continue (but without the Stalin-esque executions, I presume). If that doesn't set off Warren's "Warren Kinsella + Hitler+ Stalin+Ass" Google Alert, I'll be extremely surprised. It was fun boys, but its back to our respective corners.
- I'm sill not tired of hearing "Prime Minister Harper"
- Some peers were elected (or reelected) as MPs. Special shout outs to Rick Dykstra, Patrick Brown, Andrew Scheer and Helena Guergis: friends of mine who put their name on a ballot and smoked their opponents. Sometimes twice!
- Er, that's it.
Onwards and upwards, folks. Here's to the Diefenbaker two-step!
Just remember, Canadians gave into a naughty one-night stand because they we're mad at their boyfriend.
Don't think you've put a ring on that finger quite yet.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]