Wednesday, May 24, 2006

For all you smokers out there...

... hopefully this is a bit of a wake up call. My condolences to Heather Crowe's family and friends.

I do not smoke. I have very little sympathy for those who do.

I understand it is addictive and many of the previous generation got hooked before "all the evidence was in".

However, I think that anyone who is smoking today, who started smoking in the last five years, is an idiot. Anyone who has started smoking since the restrictions have been imposed at bars and restaurants, and now with the total ban going into effect in Ontario, you are an idiot.

I do applaud the efforts of McGuinty et al to implement the comprehensive smoking ban. It is a good first step.

However, I don't know why the police do not bother to crack down on kids smoking. I drive by the local high schools and after school and on breaks there are at least 15-20 kids who are smoking underage. If 15-20 teenagers were sitting there drinking booze, something would be done.

The real way to end smoking is to raise the age limit for cigarette purchases by one year each year.

I realize that this rant is contrary to my otherwise libertarian fews. But smoking doesn't just harm the smoker (see the link above).

I wonder if our Kyoto Targets could be met just by banning the sales of cigarettes.

Q

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT