Sunday, May 14, 2006

Four Year Municipal Terms

The McGuinty Government passed legislation last Thursday as part of the budget bill extending municpal terms from 3 years to 4 years.

Some people are up in arms about this change. I am relatively indifferent. And I say this as a municipal politician. I am just ending my first three year term, and I had held off filing my papers for reelection until this measure was decided. A four year term is a commitment I was not certain I was ready to make.

The AMO surveyed municipal politicians to ask what we would like and lobbied the municipal affairs minister for the change.

We assumed such a change would be open to legislative debate and a seperate bill, or part of the municipal act changes. Sneaking it in with the budget bill was not overally appropriate.

Anyways, the decision is made and I will be running again. I will be filing my papers today.

Wish me luck

Q

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT