Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Political Salaries

Like my first commentator for 2007, I was frustrated by John Tory's support for the pay raise at Queen's Park.

However, I don't begrudge the raise to the MPPs. I think that Mike Harris made a huge mistake making the MPP salary and pension and issue in 1995. We were all frustrated back then that despite record deficits and massive tax increases, the politicians of all stripes were able to pass themselves huge raises.

If they had decided on an annual raise that keeps up with the cost of living and a little bit more, I think we could have all swallowed it. Or alternatively, let the rage increase be in line with whatever the government of the day allows the civil service.


I don't know how much the raise will turn off people from voting for Tory, but we certainly did not endear ourselves to many people.

Q

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT