Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Observations from Tax Time

Let me begin by saying that I am happy we have a Conservative (if not conservative) government in Ottawa.

I am, however, concerned that some conservative ideals are being lost in this ultimate quest for a majority. The pundits in the Star will applaud Mssrs Harper et al for moving the party to the centre (and on many issues, I don't have a problem with that), but when it comes to fiscal policy and taxation, I really had hoped for more.

As I filled out my tax return (and several others for friends and family) it occurred to me that nothing is going to change on this front for the foreseeable future.

Where as previous governments were prepared to nickel and dime you for every little tax, Canada's New Government (TM) is just as prepared to nickel and dime you for every little credit you earn (some here for transit passes, some here for kids hockey, a little bit more for the child benefit, etc.)

My question for today:

Is it possible that we will ever see a fundamental overhaul of the tax system to streamline and simplify?

I am not proposing a wholesale flat tax (rate) as that dream died with the Reform Party. But surely some of these deductions could be eliminated and the overall savings ploughed back into a lower overall rate or higher personal deduction for a start.

Q

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT