Friday, November 16, 2007

My meeting with John Tory

I had the pleasure of sitting in on one of the "campaign debriefs" with John Tory and Blair McCreadie, PCPO President.

First, full disclosure:

1) I never supported John Tory for leader of the party. I was a Flaherty supporter.

2) I warmed up to John Tory as leader after having the opportunity to meet with him as part of a municipal delegation at AMO while on our local council.

3) My wife doesn't like John Tory because at the last convention I dragged her to, we had to wait 45 minutes for dinner because John Tory was late starting. This point doesn't really apply but it is worth mentioning.

4) I was (am still) incredibly upset with the campaign team John selected, the way they chose to ignore volunteers and the way they chose to run the campaign.

5) Faith based funding was not a problem for me personally, as my child attends a catholic school. As a product of the public school system, I would prefer to eliminate ALL faith based funding, eliminate private schools and force all children to comingle among their peers in a well funded, well thought out public education system. Since such a system does not currently exist, I am happy with the status quo.

6) Before the meeting, it was my intention to vote for a leadership review and try to convince every delegate I met in London to do likewise.

After the meeting, I may change my position on item 6. I don't think I will try to persuade anyone to vote for or against the leadership review. I think I will see what happens and IF John Tory wins, I will work hard for him and the party for the next four years.

Why?

1) John accepted responsibility for the debacle in a way I never thought I would hear from a politician. He justified my earlier impression of him as a man of integrity and honesty.

2) John shared a plan to rebuild the party.

3) John shared his vision for formulating a new policy platform.

4) John asked for the opportunity to lead us into the next election.

I think, given what happened to Mike Harris and Stephen Harper (and Dalton McGuinty) in their first campaigns, the opportunity should be afforded to John if the party allows him to do so!

Q

PS Re this letter

I am often faulted for letting people know my opinion, my train of thought and my reasoning behind the comments I offer and the decisions I make. I take responsibility for my actions within the party. I agree 100% with B-Double. If you have a point to make, make it. But at least have the courage to stand by your convictions.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

ONESTAT